This spring the YWCA of Brooklyn, along with several organizations and non-profits have combined forces to call attention to the wage gap between men and women, and call for support of Governor Cuomo’s Women’s Equality Agenda, a ten-point agenda that has among its goals achieving equal pay in New York. The YWCA of Brooklyn is an active member of the New York State Women’s Equality Coalition Steering Committee.
Did You Know that…
• If the wage gap is closed, the average NY working woman and family would have $8500 in additional wages. That’s enough money for more than a year’s worth of food; 9 additional months of rent; 3 extra years of family health insurance premiums; or more than 2,000 gallons of gas!
• Due to the wage gap, full-time working women – and New York State – collectively lose more than $22,340,000,000 each year
• Women head more than 1,000,000 households in New York, and more than 63% of working mothers in New York are primary breadwinners or co-breadwinners.
Here are 5 Things You Can Do to Support the Women’s Equality Agenda
1. Speed up Equality Online!
Social media is an amazing tool for keeping up to date and active on the Women’s Equality Agenda (WEA). We need *YOUR* help to build our presence on Facebook and Twitter so we can effectively reach the most number of people with news around this groundbreaking legislative agenda. Below are a few things you can do:
• If you haven’t already, like the Facebook page and follow othe Twitter feed. Take 30 seconds to log into your account and simply click on the hyperlinks provided; they will automatically take you to our page. From there it’s as simple as pressing a button.
• Have another minute? Change your Facebook status and/or send out a Tweet. Below are examples you can use to share our pages with your friends and networks.
• Facebook: I support the Women’s Equality Agenda because… it’s high time for a fairer and more equitable New York for all New Yorkers. Check out their page here: http://on.fb.me/XcLDdm
• Twitter: Have you heard about @NYGovCuomo #WomensEquality Agenda? Follow @NY4Women 4 news about the 10-pt legislative package: http://bit.ly/YtwT8Q
• Have 5 minutes? Send an email to your network, co-workers or friends asking them to do the same. The more people we have following us the more people we can reach as new and exciting events and updates emerge.
• Keep the drum beat going! Look out for special days of action where we send out tweets, posts and graphics. *YOUR* re-tweet, like or share can mean the difference between reaching 100 people and reaching 1,000.
2. Hit the Streets!
We are collecting signatures from community members from across the state who support the Women’s Equality Agenda. Want to help document the growing support for WEA here in NYC?
• Take petitions with you to events in your community (see attached)
• Attend an organized petition drive! To learn more about upcoming signature collecting events in NYC, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Picture Equality!
Take a photo to show what WEA means to you. Hold a sign or dry erase board that says “I support Women’s Equality because….” and then fill in the blank. Click here for examples, http://on.fb.me/14wtLh3
• Encourage others to do the same! Provide signs or paper for people in your office, friends in your community, or attendees at an upcoming event.
• Share your photos, both on your facebook page and with us! E-mail your photos to email@example.com with details about where the photo/s was taken so we can share it too.
4. Lobby your Representative!
Attend a lobby visit with members of the NYC WEA Steering Committee!
• Elected officials need to hear from us, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about upcoming WEA lobby visits.
• Look out for Legislative Action Alerts to make your voice heard!
5. Get on the Bus!
Save the date and join us in Albany on June 4th!
• E-mail email@example.com to RSVP and for more details.
For More information on the NY State Women’s Equality coalition visit http://nywomensequality.org/